Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

 Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)



After writing however many paragraphs about pirating the OT last week, I decided to watch the Specialest Edition on Disney+ for ESB. I figured it was good to try one of them that way (even if it doesn't align with the Thrawn release time period) and ESB has the least objectionable changes. Plus, it's easier to watch on my lunch at work. I'll do Harmy for Jedi.

I'm still that weirdo that thinks Empire is the worst of the original three. As soon as Luke says he's going to Dagobah I groaned a little. It feels like it has all the parts of a good movie, the arrangement is just kind of bizarre. The big battle scene is about twenty minutes in, and then the Han and Leia plot (the more interesting of the two) fires along (in between Dagobores) until it resolves with Han being frozen and we're stuck with Luke for more of the last act.

A couple noticings after watching ANH last week:

1. Wow, you can tell the budget went up! I think Hoth probably has about as many effects heavy shots as all of ANH, and even little stuff like the costumes are much nicer.

2. The sound mixing (strong in ANH) is absolutely masterful. Every little click and beep fits perfectly (and you can hear the music, the sound, and the dialogue!)

3. I miss movies being able to do special effects in the day time. Disney's modern "it's easier to CG in the dark" philosophy makes everything so blah.

Next week, Jedi! and then finally onto Thrawn! (Also, I'll probably add to this some. I left my notes on my desk at work.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9. The Lando Calrissian Adventures Part 3: The Starcave of ThonBoka (1983)

1. Splinter of the Mind's Eye (1978) by Alan Dean Foster

13: A New Hope Radio Drama (1981)